Submit ExpressFree Webmaster Tools Web Directories Latest,Updated Politics Upto date Politics Web Directories Back home after 30 years, Surjeet Singh ~ latest Politics

Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 June 2012

Back home after 30 years, Surjeet Singh

After  30+ years in prison in Pakistan, Surjeet Singh returned home Thursday to a tumultuous welcome and tears of family and friends and quickly admitted that he had indeed been sent to spy for India.
Held in Pakistan on charges of espionage in the 1980, Surjeet, 69, was released from prison in Lahore Kot Lakhpat early Thursday and made the trip by road to Wagah on the Pakistani side of the border, before entering their homeland.

"I was a RAW (Research and Analysis Wing) agent. No one bothered me after I was arrested. Do not ask me too ..." he told reporters shortly after stepping on Indian soil Surjeet.He was garlanded and embraced by his family and countrymen in Ferozepur district Phidde. Dozens of camera crews and media people jostled each other to capture the moment.

The crowds were so frantic that Surjeet, who finished his term of life in 2005, could not even meet with his wife Harbans Kaur. They were taken to Amritsar, where the family offered prayers at Harmandar Sahib, the holiest of Sikh temples in separate vehicles.Smiling and waving to family members, friends and supporters, tired, but smiling Surjeet thanked the Pakistani border authorities, while walking through the zero line on the international border.

"I am very happy to return after 30 years and meet my kids and family," he said."Indians are well treated prisoners in jails in Pakistan. Sarabjit Singh is also doing well there. I met him recently, though I could not meet him today before leaving. He has sent me any messages. Let me, I freedom will get him ... Please do not ask for anything more, "Surjeet said, referring to Sarabjit Singh, also from Punjab, who has been imprisoned in Kot Lakhpat.



Minimize confusion about the release, said: "In Urdu, how to write and Sarabjit Surjeet is almost the same This led to confusion Otherwise, everyone knew that the matter was related to my only release ...
"I'll never go back to Pakistan again," Surjeet, with a flowing gray beard, told reporters at the Punjab, the head and finger indicating a firm "no" gesture.


"I was arrested before on charges of espionage. If I recheck the security agencies suspect that I have come to spy again." Surjeet said the prisoners on both sides of the border should be released by the respective governments. "I was treated well by prison staff and I am grateful to them," he said.
Wearing a turban and white kurta-pajama and black with two bags, Surjeet had been brought to the Wagah border on the side of Pakistan in a prison van.Although who had been released, his left hand was handcuffed. The policemen who accompanied him were withdrawn, but not immediately unlocked the handcuffs as he smiled and hugged his lawyer ..


Once the formalities were completed, crossed near the Attari border checkpoint common, about 30 kilometers from Amritsar, where his family and friends were waiting with impatience to meet him.
His son Kulwinder, with a box of sweets, could not hold back tears. The family had lost hope of seeing him again, assuming he was dead after he disappeared near the border in Ferozepur sector in 1982.
"I only had two or three years when he disappeared. This is the most important day of my life," said Kulwinder.


Surjeet release came amid the controversy and the flip-flop for the release of Sarabjit Singh.
The Pakistani side was widely announced Tuesday that Sarabjit, who faces death penalty on charges of terrorism, would be released after his death sentence was commuted by President of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari.

No comments:

Post a Comment